I've seen the following transitions. Feel free to comment add any that I miss:
- Don't even try. Just end chapters on a cliff-hanger.
- If done well, and not done in every chapter
- End every chapter with a question.
- This keeps the reader engaged, but the question needs to be interesting, not too difficult, and answered quickly in the next chapter
- Copy a word or phrase from the end of one chapter, and use it in the set-up for the next
- This can either be clever or corny, depending on how carefully it is done
Writing Prompt: They always warned me that this job would kill me. I just never thought it would be so soon, or so embarrassing...
Have fun, and keep writing!